Under the guidance of the Director of Portfolio Management, this position is responsible for the management of a portfolio of commercial borrowing relationships to maximize recovery and mitigate loss. Provide an exemplary level of Client service on all relationships, whether in a primary or support role. The position may also assist Credit Managers with loan renews.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Commercial Loan Portfolio, including monitoring the overall portfolio health, annual loan reviews, past dues, financial ticklers, reassessment of risk grades, servicing actions, and communication with SBA on credits, per CalPrivate Bank and SBA policies and procedures
- Recommend legal actions, bankruptcy, foreclosure and judgment processes, and repossession or replevin actions in accordance with Bank policy. Including direct communications in negotiations and meeting with attorneys and borrowers.
- Prepare financial analysis, criticized asset reports, annual loan reviews, covenant monitoring, and underwriting renewal loan request as applicable
- Recommend risk rating changes as appropriate
- Contacts borrowers and/or Relationship Managers for financial documents required to meet loan covenants and loan reviews requirements
- Responsible for financial tickler collection and preparation of needs list
- Reviews credit memos, business loan agreements, and tickler report to ensure consistency
- Complete covenant compliance memo for approval and file record
- Regularly reviews the portfolio to ensure credit quality
- Assists with training of portfolio analysts and other portfolio managers
- Receive and analyze information from Relationship Managers and prepare credit memorandum.
- Submit CAM to Credit Manager for approval and provide support to loan processors as needed to close approved loans.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years prior work experience in SBA workout & liquidation, commercial loan underwriting, loan portfolio management, or equivalent at a commercial bank.
- Comprehensive knowledge of banking procedures, lending, and practices to include regulatory rules and guidelines affecting Bank lending operations, commercial lending, and real estate lending.
This position includes direct interaction with customers and other team members and therefore includes responsibilities relating to BSA/AML. The employee will have opportunity to examine and view information and documents produced by other team members of the Bank relating to BSA and therefore has the obligation to report suspicious activity to the BSA Officer as appropriate. The employee is responsible for understanding and following the Bank’s BSA/AML policies including elevating suspicious activity to the BSA Officer. Additionally, the employee is required to understand and follow the Bank’s compliance program.
Competencies / Skills Needed
- 3-5 years prior work experience in commercial lending portfolio management
- Knowledge of bankruptcy, workout, UCC, litigations, foreclosure, and disposition of collateral.
- Knowledge in financial analysis, with the ability to assess business financial statements and C&I loans.
- Knowledge in C&I loan documentation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at once.
- Detailed oriented and accurate
- Able to meet deadlines and workload demands.
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of individuals, strong interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
- Business acumen to effectively interact with clients.
- Team focused and solution-oriented.
- Must consistently provide the highest level of customer service.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands or arms, and talk or hear. The employee may be occasionally required to walk, climb, or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee may occasionally lift, and/or move up to 10lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to focus.