The Operations Utility Officer is responsible for regularly supporting the Branch Manager, Operations Supervisor, Officer and Operations Manager; ensuring branch operational activities run smoothly and efficiently; promoting business for the Bank by maintaining good customer relations and referring customers to appropriate personnel for new services.
The Operations Utility Officer is required to be completely knowledgeable and skilled and perform duties in the areas of Personal Banker, CSR, vault, safe deposit and branch operations, and is expected to provide leadership, training and support to less experienced CSRs and other staff members. May be responsible for various branch functions in the absence of the Operations Supervisor/Officer/Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides support to all assigned areas of branch operations where service or assistance is needed, including new accounts, teller, safe deposit, vault teller and lending.
- Assists consumer and business customers in their selection of various accounts, products and financial services available from the Bank; ensures cross-sell opportunities are presented by applying professional sales techniques.
- Interviews customers to obtain information; establishes proper identification of new customers; determines need and extent of reference investigation; assists customers in completing credit applications.
- Discusses, prepares and processes documents related to the cash management and internet banking service. Discusses and accepts merchant card applications for submission to the Bankcard Services Department.
- Makes decisions regarding the opening of new accounts; assigns account numbers; completes forms requiring customer signature(s); checks OFAC and Chexsystem history; accepts initial deposits; prepares all documents and items pertaining to checking accounts, savings accounts and certificates of deposit for processing.
- Receive, validate, document, input, call back and coordinate customer wire requests in an efficient and timely manner. Ensure wires and wire procedures are followed at all times with no errors. Ensure timely and accurate customer follow up.
- Provides on-the-job training of new employees in various branch operational duties including CSR and Personal Banker.
- Assists the Operations Supervisor / Officer / Manager with the accurate completion of related operational reports initiated by the Bank’s data processor along with miscellaneous internal reports.
- Assists the Operations Supervisor / Officer / Manager to ensure maintenance of branch property by identifying and coordinating repairs and upgrades.
- Maintains proper level of vault cash within prescribed branch limits and legal requirements.
- May participate in assuring quality control in regards to audits and certifications.
- Performs lead duties including assigning and reviewing work for accuracy and completeness, assisting others in resolving problems within given authority, approving transactions within authority levels and training others in branch operations.
- Assists other branch offices in resolving operational inquiries.
- Balances cash drawer daily and verifies cash being returned to the vault.
- Maintains satisfactory balancing average based on established guidelines.
- Balances CSR differences as it relates to general ledger accounts; maintains accurate CSR balancing records; balances branch cash totals.
- Operates computer efficiently to process transactions, account activity and determine balances.
- Assists clients and resolves problems within given authority.
- Maintains strict confidentiality of all records and data received and produced.
- Receives deposits by determining that all necessary deposit documents are in proper form, and issuing receipts, places proper holds as necessary.
- Cashes checks, savings withdrawals and makes cash advances; confirms all necessary documents are properly authorized, are in proper form and are within authorized limits; makes decisions when questionable items are presented for cashing; places proper holds as necessary.
- Issues official checks and savings bond applications.
- Accepts loan and installment payments.
- Types routine letters, reports and forms; maintains files, copies and faxes documents, and orders and distributes supplies; records, files, updates information or reports as required; prepares wire transfers.
- May accept Regulation E and ACH disputes acquiring appropriate documentation and signatures and forwarding to appropriate department for processing.
- Assists in other areas as needed.
BSA/AML/ Compliance Responsibilities
Complete required documentation for new accounts including collection of required customer documentation, identification and information as required by the Bank’s CIP program. This position includes direct interaction with customers and prospects and therefore includes responsibilities relating to BSA/AML. The employee is responsible for understanding and following the Bank’s BSA/AML policies including elevating suspicious activity to the BSA Officer. Additionally, the employee is required to understand and follow the Bank’s compliance program.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands or arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift, and/or move up to 10lbs and occasionally lift and/or move up to 10lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to focus. In the performance of duties of this job the employee will be required to travel to various branches.
- The employee must be able to perform satisfactorily and have knowledge and/or experience in each assigned duty listed above. High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and a minimum of four (4) or more years of related experience and/or training; or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Solid work-related experience consisting of financial institution branch operations, cash handling, new accounts and customer service. Ability to resolve complex customer account issues and assess and provide account solutions based on customer needs.
- Educational experience, through in-house training sessions, formal school or financial industry related curriculum, should be business or financial industry related.
- Intermediate experience to advanced experience, knowledge and training in branch operation activities, terminology and products and services.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of related state and federal banking compliance regulations, and other Bank operational policies.
Skills & Competencies Needed:
- Intermediate to advanced skills in computer terminal and personal computer operation; word processing, spreadsheet and account opening software programs (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Icore, DepositPro, etc.).
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to speak clearly to customers and employees.
- Ability to deal with problems involving multiple facets and variables in non-standardized situations.
- Effective organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision while performing duties.
- Ability and proven record of referring business to the different departments.
- Basic mathematics, reasoning, oral comprehension skills.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Active listener.
- Must consistently provide the highest level of customer service.
- Must possess a positive, can-do attitude.
Min: $48,000; Mid: $54,000; Max: $60,000