Account & Finance
The Director of Accounting oversees the accounting function across the organization and is primarily responsible for the accuracy, integrity, and timeliness of accounting functions and financial reporting.
The Director of Accounting will be responsible for managing the personnel within the Accounting Department, including the Controller, Accounts Payable, and Staff Accountants.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for maintaining and developing accounting policy and accounting memos consistent with GAAP, which includes analyzing and determining the correct accounting treatment for new accounting pronouncements and new Company initiatives and documenting the same in Accounting Policy and memorandums.
- Responsible for implementing financial reporting controls and process improvements, supporting financial reporting regulatory change initiatives; modification of financial reporting processes; remediation of any issues identified.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining a system of internal controls that will ensure that company assets are adequately safeguarded and that all financial reporting is prepared in compliance will all financial policies and SEC requirements.
- Responsible for implementing financial reporting rules and regulations affecting public companies and bank holding companies.
- Assists with and facilitates external audits and reviews of the consolidated financial statements with respect to financial reporting items.
- Responsible for FDICIA / SOX reporting procedures and documents. Ensures activities are FDICIA / SOX compliant regarding the Company’s FDICIA / SOX program and requirements.
- Ensures the accurate and timely preparation of all internal financial reports including monthly and quarterly reports to the Board of Directors and its committees.
- Works closely with several areas of the Bank in support of financial reporting deliverables, including Credit, Operations and Risk Management.
- Assists with regulatory reporting, investor reporting and other accounting functions and special projects, as requested.
- Provides leadership and opportunities for professional growth and development for the team.
- Proficient in all aspects of corporate accounting and all pertinent GAAP, SEC rules and regulations including FDICIA / SOX compliance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Five or more years’ experience in a progressively responsible financial reporting or corporate finance position
- Two years’ SEC reporting and filing experience or public accounting experience
- CPA or MBA preferred
- Prior experience in the financial services and or banking industry preferred
The employee is responsible for understanding and following the Bank’s BSA/AML policies including elevating suspicious activity to the BSA Officer. Additionally, the employee is required to understand and follow the Bank’s compliance program
Skills & Competencies:
- Ability to manage and motivate team in an ever-evolving environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical abilities and organizational skills are essential to success in this position
- Working knowledge of accounting regulations, and auditing practices and procedures
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Exceptional oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions, interpret documents, understand procedures, write reports and correspondence, and speak clearly to customers and team members
- Ability to make decisions that have significant impact on the immediate work unit and cross functional departments
- Ability to organize and prioritize workstreams and schedules
- Ability to provide consultation and expert advice to management
- Ability to make informal and formal presentations, inside and outside the organization; speaking before assigned team or other groups as needed
- Ability to deal with complex problems involving multiple facets and variables in non-standardized situations
- Ability to work with no supervision while performing duties
- Regularly required to talk or listen
- Frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle or feel, reach with hands or arms.
- Required to sit for long periods of time
- Occasionally required to stand and walk
- Occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision and the ability to focus.
- Employee may be required to travel occasionally